Industry Links

Residential Tenancies Act

Here is the website for the Residential Tenancies Act which came into effect January 31, 2007


Landlord and Tenant Board, has many offices across Ontario

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing operates the Landlord and Tenant Board that regulates all residential Landlord/Tenant matters in Ontario. You cannot contract outside the law. You must use their forms for most notices. You can only get an eviction order through the Board and you must sue an existing tenant for damages or rent arrears through the Board.

All the forms for rent increases, evictions, and applications to the Board can be downloaded for free from their web site. They change so often you should always download the current copy of the form you want to use (e.g. N5, N1, N4, etc.). Forms are downloaded in a pdf format and you require a free copy of Acrobat Reader to print them.

You can call 1-888-332-3234 to order printed copies or use the link above. You can pick up individual copies of the forms and general information at any of their many Landlord and Tenant Board offices and many Drivers License Offices across the province. You can also fax forms back and forth to them. I suggest that you purchase your own copies of the Act, Regulations, Interpretive Guidelines and Rules. You can now use credit cards to pay for their publications and application fees. They have gone very public with their information. Your tenants have no problem learning their rights.


Federation of Rental-housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO)

20 Upjohn Road, Suite 105
Toronto, On. M3B 2V9
(416) 385-1100, 1-877-688-1960

This is the Provincial landlord’s organization. They do a lot of research and have launched several high profile and very expensive legal challenges to different pieces of legislation. They also worked with the government in drafting other legislation. They operate with the highest ethical and academic standards. They also provide their members with substantial discounts on natural gas purchases across Ontario.


Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations [CFAA]

55 Metcalfe St., Suite 440
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 6L5
(613) 235-0101

CFAA represents the owners and managers of more than one million residential rental suites in Canada, through 17 organizations across Canada. WRAMA is a member of this association. CFAA deals with Federal issues on our behalf.


Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation

CMHC provides many different services for the housing industry. Much of their information is free; some publications are sold to cover costs. You can reach them at 1-800-668-2642 or reach their web site above. For landlords they do semi-annual surveys of the rental housing market across the country to establish the vacancy rates for different types and sizes of accommodation and price ranges for them. They do market projections as well


Landlord Self Help

Suite 609, 477 Richmond St. West,
Toronto, ON.
N5V 3E7
(416) 504-5190

This is a non-profit group dedicated to helping the small landlords of Ontario since 1975. It is supported by grants from the Ontario Legal Aid Plan and the City of Toronto. They charge a very modest membership fee of $5.00. This site is very worthwhile for the Mom & Pop landlords to check out.


Rent Check Credit Bureau

NO ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEES. Savings over 75% on screening and tenant evaluation tools. Powerful tenancy history database of millions and millions of records. Serving residential and commercial rental providers, both large and small. We offer fast effective and affordable screening tools including; RentBureau reports on Tenancy History, Full Spectrum Credit Reports (through Equifax and TransUnion), Commercial Credit Reports, Criminal Reports, etc. NEW SCREENING APPS FOR IPADS, TABLETS & SMARTPHONES.

Contact: Brenda J. Maxwell
203-47 Colborne Street, Toronto, ON M5E 1P8
T. 416-365-7060 or 1-800-661-7312 ext 221
F. 416-365-1987 or 1-800-871-3380




They have a national database of tenant histories that is accessible 24/7 instantly by phone, fax and internet. Membership fees vary by size of rental operation.


Municipal Property Assessment Corporation

Gives you information about your tax assessment and allows you to get assessments for your own or similar properties.


Attorney General’s Site

News releases, What’s new, Going to Court, How to make small claims court work for you, etc.


Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce

Information of the Kitchener-Waterloo area.


Waterloo Region Small Business Centre

Providing free services to entrepreneurs and small business owners


Waterloo Region – Water Efficiency

Information on Toilet Replacement Program, Salt Reduction Measures, Rain Barrel Program, Environews, Watering Restrictions, etc.


Mr. Landlord Newsletter

This is a U.S. site but is loaded with free generic information. They also have a free Newsletter Club (by email)


Ontario Landlords Watch

A collaborative initiative of Ontario Taxpayers, including landlords, tenants and all who support them, who believe their municipalities need to incorporate fair billing practices, without creating different ‘classes’ of residents.


Rental Property Reporter

This is a US site operated by Robert L. Caine that has information that applies to landlords everywhere. You can sign up for a free Monthly Property Management Column by email.